Porter wins Race 3, Spratt the GP round

Andrew Porter won the final race of the V8 Utes are Manfeild Circuit Chris Amon, but it was Matt Spratt who won the round to extend his championship lead with one round to go.

Spratt started the race from pole position with Andrew Porter alongside. Neither of them would come out of the first turn with the lead, however, as they bogged down off the line. Second row starters Peter Ward in his Holden and Glen Collinson in his Ford got blisteringly quick starts to usurp both Spratt and Porter. Ward went full onto the grass and narrowly avoided a big crash at turn one as he just managed to pull his car up into the sweeping right-hander.

Collinson led the field into and out of Turn 1 with Porter not far behind. Geoff Spencer slotted into third after a great start in the Coresteel Holden and pushed Spratt down to fourth. Ward continued to find himself in the thick of the battles. This time it was Alexandra Whitley who clipped the left rear quarter of Ward at Splash. The Ward Demolition driver got slightly sideways and lost a bit of ground to the leading quartet but kept his right foot hard in and managed not to lose any positions.

Series debutant Stu Monteith was lucky to avoid heavy contact with anything after he suffered a left front suspension failure at Higgins. He was forced to retire from the race on the spot.

Porter pressured Collinson for the lead come lap two. Their battle nearly ended in disaster as they approached the start of lap three. Porter got to the inside of Collinson, but the door closed rapidly on Porter. The pair made contact and smoke bellowed from the back of Collinson’s car. Porter took to the grass while Collinson got loose on the front straight. Both managed to come away unscathed though in the spectacular moment. It was only a matter of time, however, before Andrew found a way by Glen and he did so at turn one on lap three and quickly established an unassailable lead.

A flying Ward was battling with Spratt ute and later in the lap Spratt got alongside Spencer at Higgins. On entry to the corner, Spencer lost the rear of his ute and ended up nearly spinning. He lost ground and both Spratt and Ward blew by and set off after the cars in front. Porter was well in front by lap five, Collinson some two seconds in arrears.

After losing time to the front runners, Spencer began to come under pressure from Alexandra Whitley. The Australian ace ran the racing line out of the corner, but a slight overlap between her and Spencer saw the latter end up in the grass and Whitley wagging her tail with four laps to go. Whitley though managed to hold onto the position.

The final few laps ran without much incident. Porter cruised home to victory while Collinson held off Spratt and Ward.


Race 3 – NZ V8 Utes Round 3 Manfeild Circuit Chris Amon


1.         Andrew Porter - Portergroup Holden

2.         Glen Collinson - DNA Paints Ford 

3.         Matt Spratt - Primogrow Ford

4.         Peter Ward - Ward Demolition Holden

5.         Alexandra Whitley - LDV Vans Holden

6.         Brett Rudd - LOSCAM Pallet Supplies Holden

7.         Dave Kernohan – KCH Ford

8.         Simon Usher - United Freight Ford

9.         Jeff Kernohan – KCH Ford

10.       David Lowe - Ryco 82C Ford

11.       Geoff Spencer - Coresteel Buildings Holden 


DNF:    Paul Manuell - SuperFreight Holden

DNF:    Stu Monteith - Trade Freight Holden