Glen Collinson bounced back from the disappointment of the first race on Saturday with victory in Sunday morning’s reverse top ten race at Hampton Downs.
Starting third on the grid in the reverse top ten race at the second round of the RYCO 24•7 V8 Utes Championship, Collinson got a solid start form the lights and after an initial skirmish with pole position holder Stu Monteith and front row sitter Simon Ussher he had a clear track ahead of him and made the most of it.
It was champion Matthew Spratt who emerged from the pack to take the battle to Collinson, and Andrew Porter behind him as the race became an all Ford Falcon FG affair. Saturday race winner Paul Manuell was a little hampered by traffic in the early laps of the race, but once Peter Ward was forced to pit with something going on at the rear of his Holden, and Manuell had dealt with his team mate and series debutant Matt Griffin, he had a clear run to the top three.
It was Collinson who had the outright race pace, however, and he maintained a buffer over Spratt of between 1.5 and 2.5 seconds. Spratt enjoyed a similar margin over Porter and try as he might, Manuell made little impression on the top three. As the flag came
down at the end of the race, the order at the front remained unchanged – Collinson first, Spratt second, Porter third and Manuell fourth to retain his championship lead.
Griffin came home a lonely fifth while Liam Porter and Stuart Monteith enjoyed a spirited race long battle that was eventually resolved in favour of Porter after a great move around the outside of Stu’s Holden at turn one.
RYCO 24•7 V8 Utes Championship Round 2 Hampton Downs Race 2
1. Glen Collinson -Ford Falcon FG
2. Matt Spratt – Ford Falcon FG
3. Andrew Porter – Ford Falcon FG
4. Paul Manuell – Holden Commodore
5. Matt Griffin – Holden Commodore
6. Liam Porter – Ford Falcon BF
7. Stuart Monteith – Holden Commodore
8. Brent Main – Ford Falcon BF
9. David Lowe – Ford Falcon BF
10. Roger Nees – Ford Falcon BF
11. Paul Fougere – Holden Commodore
12. Simon Ussher – Ford Falcon FG
13. Greg Kroef – Holden Commodore
14. Peter Ward – Holden Commodore
DNF: James Parker – Holden Commodore